Herbz

New Processor and MoBo

Hi, so i'm looking to upgrade my CPU which means my mobo as well. What would any of you guys suggest? I have up to £400 to spend. I looked at the i7-4790k and that looked pretty good, but I dont know weather I should go 6th gen or not? Can anyone give some advice? Thanks in advance :D

11 minutes ago, GTG_Herbz said:

I was looking at them earlier, does look like a good upgrade. Would you suggest the sky lake i7 or not? 

I have the i7-4770k Still a great CPU. Would recommend i7-4790k too. 

On 15/07/2016 at 16:47, Spicerr said:

I was looking at them earlier, does look like a good upgrade. Would you suggest the sky lake i7 or not? 

I have the skylake processor, it's not too bad. I found with my motherboard setup, I was able to pull a max overclock of 4.6-4.7 as sometimes the 4.7 would be unstable. I think I'm limited by my cooler, though. I would recommend the skylark, mainly because of the power efficiency, and DDR4, as well as bragging rights xD, however, the new Kaby lake is coming, but i think its windows 10 only, might be a deal breaker for some.

I went for Broadwell E for my upgrade. got an i7 6800k, and she's a beast. X99 Chipset is very good! If people are looking to upgrade I would wait until Kaby Lake and even AMD's Zen. Yes I know AMD ew but the benchmark they showed us on the announcement beat an i7 6800k at cinebench. But that is only one benchmark and its done by AMD themselves so it's probably bias. I've OCed my 6800k to 4.3GHz and it destroys anything I throw at it without breaking a sweat! Always under 70% load. I have a H115i Cooler in push pull config and never breaks 38 Degrees even when i'm doing as load benchmark. My rig is 100% overkill for gaming, but i'm planning on doing some content creation soon hence I bought X99. If anyone is in the market for a new upgrade I would defiantly recommend waiting for Kaby Lake and Zen.