Patrick

TeamSpeak 5 Confirmed

Right well first off I was worried I'd missed an entire TeamSpeak version there but it looks like they've just jumped to 5. With their whole emphasis on the UI I'm a bit worried they'll follow Steam's footsteps with the recent chat overhaul and just make it more "Discord-like", I'm all for a more modern take on the UI and TS3 is ageing, although I've become accustomed to it, but I'm not much of a fan of the Discord style. Still excited to see a large change for TS and where it'll go in the future.

1 hour ago, That Bloke said:

Right well first off I was worried I'd missed an entire TeamSpeak version there but it looks like they've just jumped to 5. With their whole emphasis on the UI I'm a bit worried they'll follow Steam's footsteps with the recent chat overhaul and just make it more "Discord-like", I'm all for a more modern take on the UI and TS3 is ageing, although I've become accustomed to it, but I'm not much of a fan of the Discord style. Still excited to see a large change for TS and where it'll go in the future.

The funny thing is Discord is actually based on software I actively used called "Slack" it's a business facing software that Discord took "inspiration" from but didn't take their stance on privacy too seemingly. 

unfurl_why_slack.png

TeamSpeak for some reason avoid using the number 4 in versioning (https://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/136060-Where-did-teamspeak-4-gone?p=458035#post458035) but they are yet to explain why this is.. superstition maybe? 

TeamSpeak in the past has been heavily faced that they are a VOIP software, not for features like screen sharing, video chat and text chat. I'm unsure if they will stick with this ethos as they're basically re-branding and changing everything. What we do know so far is that it will stay as a de-centralised system where we run our own licensed servers (Good!). 

What I'm hoping is that we get a modernised version of the client with a new sleek look, similar/same channel/client tree and an overhauled text chat with embedding of images, better chat history etc. I'm personally not wanting to see video chat or screen sharing as this would immediately change the ethos of TeamSpeak. 

In my honest opinion, this is TeamSpeak's make or break moment. They need to put all their cards on the table and go all in, if not their business may diminish year by year. If I see TeamSpeak fall to the growth of Steam's new chat I'll be fine with that as Steam as a company are trustworthy but I just do not feel the same towards Discord as they're funded by VC's with no clear way of generating revenue back for those shareholders. 

But anyway, here's to the future! 

The number 4 is an unlucky number in China as it is sounds the same as death in their language. A few companies have skipped 4 in order to keep their China base. The more common one is to skip number 9 as it sounds like suffering in Japanese. The big ones for that are Windows and Apple with the iphone. It's just to keep the Asian market accessible.

The main gripe I have with Discord is the separation of voice and text channels. I just think it makes it clunky and not very intuitive. As long as Teamspeak stay true to their roots I don't think they can go far wrong.